Re: tlug: directions...

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> in anyway. I quite like it too. What I meant was, that it would be cool
> to be able to flick to a tlug web page and see out of the group who was
> up to what, why linux, what they do with it, maybe hardware configs,
> their pet way of installing apps, backing it up, etc.  Just interesting
> bits and pieces like this. I know this is bordering links to members

I don't see any problem with having a section like that, and as you say,
it might be useful and helpful for people.  Basically, it would require
two things:

1) The time and desire from those with the tips, tricks, and experience
to put that stuff into a web page.  We would want an easy-to-use
form-based page generator, so that all they had to do was paste their
text into it and click a button.  Like the rest of us, they probably
don't have time to each individually set up something like that, nor
do we really want to ask them to have to do it;

2) Someone to develop the section of the site to implement item 1.  This
could involve writing it all from scratch, or there could be an existing
code base out there that could be modified to integrate its appearance
into the look/feel of the TLUG site.  Something using PHP/MySQL might be
good for this, or it could be done with a CGI that took in info and spit
out static pages (the first choice is much better from an updating point
of view).  Our web site maintainers do a good job of keeping things up
to date and not broken, but but they do have work and school and their
own projects, so the may well not have time to work on a big project
like that.

Which background leads me to asking if you'd like to volunteer to
develop said PHP/MySQL system for achieving this?  I agree it sounds
like a nice project, but no one who administers the site or the server
now probably has much (if any) time to work on it, so the ball will
probably wind up in your court if you want to do this.  Maybe some
other people would have time to help with it.  And once it's ready for
the world, you could slap a GPL on it and post it to Freshmeat and add
one more name to the list of free software developers in TLUG :-)

Jonathan

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA