Re: tlug: Re: rpms

>>>>> "adam" == adam  <adam@example.com> writes:

    adam> I might add that this system works remarkably closely the
    adam> the BSD ports collection.  You hardcore tarball guys should
    adam> probably take a look at that: it's a source-only system
    adam> built on makefiles that carries all the convenience of RPMs,
    adam> without ever trying to "shield" the user from any part of
    adam> the compile or install process.

Been there, done that.  (1) Boot disks are provided; you can't get
away from that.  It's a question of degree.  (2) Ports makes no sense
for a multimachine installation.  Maybe NFS does what you want, build
and install on one machine to serve the others; maybe it doesn't.
Binary packages do make sense for many applications.  (3) I can still
list all the NetBSD ports on a screen or two (OK, it's a 89-line xterm
:-); that's two orders of magnitude smaller than Debian `woody', with
5079 packages available known on my machine.  ("My machine" matters; I
have several local kernel packages as well as some non-Debian .debs.)

It's true that Debian's install system (now something like 11
floppies, including the new boot disk) is a lot bigger than a typical
BSD install (one floppy, half-full).  But you can basically accomplish
the equivalent of BSD ports with "apt-get source ...".

Are there any hardcore "tarball" guys anymore?  I do all my "not in
the PMS yet" stuff from CVS....

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA