RE: tlug: directions...

>Why
>shouldn't one or two distros of linux cater for people who don't know how
>it all works, but moved over because it was free and easy and did
everything
>that ms did and more ?

Personally I agree with the NO LINUX FOR THE MASSES policy but with a few
exceptions.

1) It is okay if linux is working in the background somewhere, helping
people to do this and that without their knowing and being maintained by a
few skilled, experienced, and well-informed people.  In fact this is ideal.
The masses lack the interest and attention span to understand or want to
understand linux.  Why even mention it to them?  Let them go about their
daily business, dialing into their local ISP running linux from their Mac
workstation.  There is no need to downgrade the quality of linux for the
benefit of everyone being able to use it easily.

2) On the other hand, I tend to feel that linux has some kind of healing
power in the corrupted, brain washed world we live in.  All those people who
do not care to use or understand linux do not care about a lot of other
things either-- like the environment or their own mental/physical health and
soundness to name a few.  If for some reason they take an interest in linux,
get involved in a community of linux users, etc, who knows what it might do
for them and the rest of the world?  (wishful thinking.....?)

I realize it is not that easy.  What is needed is some kind of buffer zone
for all those people with potential.  I will use my case as an example.

I met linux at my university's math department.  I ended up having to use
the math dep's student computer lab to do homework assignments (software
like maple not available in the huge mac labs for all students).  I had to
get an account, I logged on to do my homework and also realized I could do
other things like check my email with pine in a less crowded and laid back
atmosphere than the big mac lab. (and I never had to wait in line to log
on!)  Eventually I ended up with a work study job in the lab and spent a lot
of time there, using and configuring the machines.  I stopped using the huge
regular labs and started using linux for ALL my computing needs.  The
faculty/staff who maintained the department's system and were responsible
for choosing linux were pleasant and interesting people.  They cared.   Most
importantly, I had time to get used to the differences and people were
around to help and discuss.

It would be nice if universities would use linux.  It would save them a lot
of money which they could use for other things (like lowering student fees
and tuition) and it would be the perfect time to introduce thinking people
to a new OS in an environment where they have time to understand it.

sorry for the blah blah blah....

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA