Re: tlug: Dynamic IP & DNS

Regarding IP addresses, in addition to fixed versus dynamic,
you should distinguish private versus public.  Cable and DSL ISPs
often give out private IP addresses (e.g., 192.168.x.x), since they
need a lot of them, because they're always in use.

The ISP uses IP masquerading at their gateway to map your private
address to a public one that will work on the Internet.  This limits
the protocols that you can use.  I think it would also prevent anyone
on the Internet from initiating a connection to your machine, even if
you use dynamic DNS.

--
David Beutel           A monk asked Unmon, "When a tree withers and
jdb@example.com        the leaves fall, what about it?"  Unmon replied,

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA