Re: tlug: rpms

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> tluggers,
>
> Last night I let helixcode's go-gnome rip on one of my boxes. Considering my
> current 64K connection it took a while to download, but down it came and
> installed beautifully. It is a pretty cool piece of code if I may say so and
> Gnome 1.2 looks really cool.
>
> The sad part is that I would have liked to also install it on another box,
> but sadly, the installer blew away the rpm's that came down as part of the
> go-gnome script.
>
> I'm wondering is there a way to rebuild the rpms from my updated machine so
> that I can avoid the download on my second machine. Could probably use some
> command line trickiery like
>
> 	rpm -q --list a-helix-pkg | cpio ...
>
> and then get the files onto my other machine, but was just wondering if there
> is a way to pull back into disk rpm format a loaded rpm.

unfortunately no, not without rewriting a .spec file and a bunch of other
stuff.  By the time you did that and debugged it and all, it A) wouldn't
be the same as the original, most likely, and B) you've just used up as
much time as it would have taken you to redownload the official RPMs in
the first place :)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA