Re: tlug: Re: telnet: different question + others

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 11:46:45PM +0900, B0Ti wrote:

> > But, if you're looking to put together your own custom keyboard map,
> > xev is your friend. Run it from an xterm with the keyboard in
> > question plugged in, and start taking notes.

> Well, this is what i've done.  Just would like to see some other
> xmodmap files done by someone else, which might be more useful then
> my own.  Binding henkan or some other key to kinput2, or the menu
> button to the gnome panel's start button. Things like this.  Of
> course I could figure these out, but takes some time.

well, here's the contents of my .xmodmaprc. It's not much, but maybe
something will be useful for you. It solved a couple of pretty
annoying problems for me:

1) The lack of a conveniently-located key to start a kanji
conversion.

2) Who actually uses caps lock? I'm a vim person, and accidentally
turning Caps Lock on (which I do a lot, because it's right next to my
pinky) can be a good way to lose stuff I'm working on (for example,
dw deletes a word, DW deletes the rest of the line you're on and
jumps to the next word). So, this .xmodmap

clear Lock
keycode 66 = Kanji
keycode 111 = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 115 = F21
keycode 117 = F20

1) Moves the Caps Lock key to the PrntScrn key (which I don't need)

2) Binds the traditional Caps Lock key to Kanji

3) Binds the Windows(TM) key to F21 (which I bind to my WM's root
   menu). Although I suppose it would probably be pretty amusing to bind
   it to the xscreensaver module that simulates the Windows blue screen
   of death instead.

4) Binds the MS-Menu key to F20 (which I don't use because it's in a
   really inconvenient place on my laptop)

Hope that helps.
john
--