Re: tlug: Problems with glib-1.2.new

>>     David> im trying to upgrade my system, but anytime i upgrade
glib,
>>     David> my locales get broken, and can use japanese anymore,
except
>>     David> for a kterm and netscape.
>> Wait until Gtk gets its act together.  Also glibc.  Expect lots of
>> backward incompatible changes in I18N from the various libraries over

>> the next year or so.
Don't have to wait for that though.
Only if you want to use different codesets together, say ISO-8859-2 and
japanese for example. Gtk is moving towards using unicode. There a
project called pango (see pango.org, or similar:) doing this, and it
will be integrated into gtk 2.0.

>> If you really need the bleeding edge version of Gtk for some app,
then
>> probably your best bet is to static link the working glib into gjiten

>> and other I18n-ized apps you use.
>Thank you. I am upgrading gnome, and i did from helix. last time i
could go
>back and reinstall glib-1.2.6 but now i have gtk+-1.2.7 too and it wont
let me
>install glib.
The i18n that gtk/gnome uses was implemented sometime around gtk 1.1.x,
and didn't have huge changes later. After gtk has kinda solidified in
the 1.2 series, minor upgrades didn't break the whole system unlike
before in the old days, that's my experience.
I just upgraded to gnome 2.0 too [helix packages], but still using the
gjiten binary i compiled before under the previous gnome/gtk libs and
didn't notice any bad behavior.

>how do i compile statically with the makefile from gjiten?
I think it's totally unneccessary, but if you really want to do this
then go to the src directory and edit the makefile.am. Append -static to
the CFLAGS line.
Be warned, that you'll get a huge binary (around 6 megs)

> Thank you again, but why will glib be having problems with i18n?
>  because of unicode?
Because probably there might be a couple incompatible changes in the
api. But I think that the gtk developers have learned a lot from the
past, and they will add new functions rather than changing existing ones
and making them incompatible with the 1.x series.

>I think i will keep glibc 1.2.6 until it gets done then (i reinstaled
it along with gtk) thank you again.
You mean glib 1.2.6.

It was interesting to read so many responses to my autologin question
and see the different viewpoints. I'll be thinking of more questions
like this to fire up tlug activity ;)
The ethical part of the question is getting little offtopic, but here is
some more to it:
Consider the case when most of the students sleep during class, and in
lab also.  Physically they are there, so they get into the attendance
record. This isn't very different from my case, where the virtual me
would make my name show up in the attendance just by faking an utmp
entry. But at least I can sleep in my own bed during that time =)

Anyway, I'll go to the class tomorrow, i promise.  I'll read slashdot
then.
And we'll see what can be done for that utmp entry...

B0Ti.

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA