Re: tlug: cable modems

> shimpei@example.com (shimpei@example.com) wrote:

> > Right? I just looked. Private IP only, no server allowed. Oh yeah, and no
> > battle.net either.
>
> One other thing to be aware of is that cable providers in Japan
> typically have very small uplink pipes.  The largers ones are
> 6 mbit, and some that I've seen on the Japanese network map have
> as little as a single T-1.

Well, their top page claims that they just upgraded their uplink to 70Mbps
(from 55Mbps). Assuming that the uplink from there has decent pipe to the
world, it wouldn't be quite that pathetic. OTOH, Even 70Mbps doesn't sound
all that big in this day and age.

The cable company with the really pathetic uplink is the company serving my
area, Ota Cable Network, which proudly proclaims an uplink of 6Mbps. Sigh...

Shimpei.

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA