Re: tlug: cable modems

shimpei@example.com (shimpei@example.com) wrote:

> http://www.catv.ne.jp/
> Right? I just looked. Private IP only, no server allowed. Oh yeah, and no
> battle.net either.

One other thing to be aware of is that cable providers in Japan
typically have very small uplink pipes.  The largers ones are
6 mbit, and some that I've seen on the Japanese network map have
as little as a single T-1.  It wouldn't take too many cable
modems to over-subscribe pipes of that size, so if you're in
an area where you have a choice of DSL and cable, go DSL.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA