tlug: Re: telnet: different question + others

> From: John Seebach <jseebach@example.com>
> Subject: Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others

> > doesn't use the extra keys (M$ and the japanese conversion keys), so I'm
> > looking for keymaps that do. Probably I'm not the only one with this
> > type of keyboard, so there must be nice solutions.

> But, if you're looking to put together your own custom keyboard map,
> xev is your friend. Run it from an xterm with the keyboard in
> question plugged in, and start taking notes.

Well, this is what i've done.  Just would like to see some other xmodmap files done
by someone else, which might be more useful then my own.
Binding henkan or some other key to kinput2, or the menu button to the gnome
panel's start button. Things like this.
Of course I could figure these out, but takes some time.

> From: <jq@example.com>
> Subject: tlug: Fighting with Real Player
>
> I recently installed Real Player 7 and have so far not been able to
> play anything:
> When starting Real Player, it says it can't connect
> to the sound device, another application might be using it.

If you're using esd, this might be it. You could find it out by: $fuser -v /dev/dsp

> Subject: Re: tlug: telnet: different question

Thanks for all the answers regarding my autologin question. Expect is a pretty cool
thingy, I just made a script. Probably this is the way i'm gonna go, because the
.rhosts thing is unlikely to work, but didn't check it yet.

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
> Subject: Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others
> I'm really shocked at how many people take such a light view of this.
> This thread is discussing means of obtaining privileges on a system,
> privileges that the system's owner clearly does not wish to grant.

Maybe you misunderstood my question here. I don't think I would obtain any more
privileges on the target system that I have now. I have already a login access
granted.  I didn't ask "how could I get a rootshell".

> Ethically, the same as using an open relay, kiddie scripts, or a root
> kit.  Think about what this exploit would imply if it were conducted
> on _your_ system.

I'm not exploiting anything here IMHO. Anyone could do the same thing with my
system who _has_ a login account.

> From: Frank Bennett <bennett@example.com>
> Subject: Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others
> > But legally the U would very likely be within its rights to batter his
> It does involve lying, and that should be treated as a pretty serious
> business within an educational institution.

It can be considered as lying, you're right. I'm perfectly aware that it's not a
nice thing to do. Actually I would rather feel this way in the case of "swapping
login favors with a friend". Setting up an autologin script would accomplish the
same task, but i wouldn't have to rely on the friend to do it and he would be
involved in the "crime" as well.  If they catch me, i'll face it with dignity.
The reason i'd like to skip this class is because all we have to do is just reading
some basic c programming text in our web browser. Of course I still have a lot to
learn, but the place is simply not ideal for it.

> From: David Eduardo gomez Noguera <davidgn@example.com>
> Subject: tlug: Problems with glib-1.2.new
> im trying to upgrade my system, but anytime i upgrade glib, my locales get
> broken, and can use japanese anymore, except for a kterm and netscape.  gjiten no
> longer displays japanese and the kinput windows doesnt show up as i

> had expected.
> any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I think you're mistaking glibc with glib. Glib and gtk+ relies on glibc for wide
character support. Upgrading glib shouldn't break your japanese i think.
If you get "locale not supported by glibc" or similar messages when you start up
gjiten or other gtk programs then all you need is the ja locales. Most distros have
this in the glibc package, mandrake 7.0 has it seperately. Read the gjiten
documentation on how to get the japanese locales.

Sorry about my all-in-one mail.
B0Ti.