Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  >>>>> "Selva" == Selva Nair <selva@example.com> writes:
>
>      Selva> The original poster want to use it for, IMHO, an unethical
>      Selva> purpose but that is for him/her to worry, I guess.
>
>      Selva> I am missing something ?
>
>  Yes.
>  <A HREF="standard-disclaimers#IANAL>
>    If I am correct,
>  </A>
>  technically what those who have provided advice are doing is called
>  "aiding and abetting the commission of a crime."  Even
>  <A HREF="standard-disclaimers#INAPPLICABLE REASON="He IS a lawyer">
>    if Frank says he thinks
>  </A>
>  the defendent's case is easier, I wouldn't bet against the advisors
>  being indicted for A&A.

Agreed. This did occur to me after I posted that (so I knew it
was coming ;) I wish there was a  cancel key for emails :)

>  Read what you just wrote: he is grabbing the privilege of interactive
>  login _noninteractively_, thus without permission.
>
>  Sheesh.  I used to think teaching classes in the "ethics of computing"
>  was overdoing it.  Not any more; it's obviously necessary.

Suppose I have an account on a machine that does not run POP, IMAP etc..
so I have to login and read my mails interactively. Will it be unethical
if I run a script using rsh (assuming .rhosts is not disabled) to check
for new email? I honestly dont find anything wrong with it as long as my
script does not load the system more than by what I am allowed to do in
an interactive session.

Selva

------
what is right and what is wrong, do we need someone to tell us these
things ?

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA