tlug: Emacs/Xemacs Question

>>>>> "k0n" == k0n  <halimaw@example.com> writes:

    k0n>      one big question for a new nix user.. what da hell does
    k0n> Emacs do?

Everything.  If your box can do it, Emacs can tell the box to do it.
This is not always a good idea; other programming languages are often
prettier or more efficient.

Primarily it's a text editor.  It can do everything that Perl can do,
and these days it's hardly any bigger ;-)  But it's much better at
displaying things while it's editing.

    g> It serves a similar purpose to that filled by vi I
    g> believe.

Uh-uh.  If you like Emacs, you can substitute it for vi, but there's
no reason to do so if vi's functionality is satisfactory.  The purpose
of Emacs is to make all the power of a modern editor combined with a
general-purpose scripting language available in your command environment.

    Scott> So basically the gist is that Xemacs is more bizarre
    Scott> (bazaar?) and more abstract.  So it's the Picasso of
    Scott> Editors, then :)

Into the .sig with you!

    Scott> Seriously, though, all kidding aside, XEmacs is clearly
    Scott> better from a functionality perspective.  From a disk space
    Scott> perspective, they're both fricking huge, with Xemacs being
    Scott> slightly more so than its RMS-consorting counterpart.

I have at least one fully-functional XEmacs installation[1] in under
20 MB, including full info docs and all the PNGs of developers in
xemacs/etc/photos (I should rm those, it's a tty-only box ;-).

XEmacs at least gives you that choice.  But users expect it to come
with everything, so that's the standard distribution.

Footnotes:
[1]  Not including temacs, so I can't redump.

What are those straight lines?  "XEmacs (the Picasso of Editors!) rules."
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA