tlug: kanji input setup

Greetings,

  I'm a long-time Linux user.  I have installed Red Hat 6.2 on my
roommate's computer, who is interested in getting into web devlopment.
She's doing quite well creating pages in English using KNotepad,
Netscape, and the Gimp, but she would like to be able to write email and
web page content in Kanji.  She has purchased a "Japanese keyboard" for
this purpose.

  I've done massive amounts of web searching, but most of the pages are in
Japanese, which I can't read and she can't understand (she is a novice
when it comes to computers, and especially Linux).  So far I've managed to
determine that there are some programs known as "kinput2", "wnn", and
"canna" for entering Kanji.  Locating these programs has proven all but
impossible; they have no entries on freshmeat's appindex, for example.

  I managed to find rpm's of kinput2-wnn and kinput2-canna on
linux.or.jp's RPM archive, but when I try to run the included binaries
they segfault immediately.  I can't seem to locate source code
distributions or homepages for these programs.  I can't even figure out
which of them she needs!

  All we need is a program for X-Windows which allows her to type Kanji
characters into a small window, and then paste the results into Netscape's
mail composer or her text editor.  I suspect she needs to change editors,
but emacs or vi are probably beyond her ability to use at this point.

   I did find the "pad" program which allows you to draw characters with
the mouse, but she doesn't want that.

Any suggestions at all would be very helpful.  I'm currently sifting
through the archives of this mailing list to see if I can get some hints,
but there's a lot of references to these programs and few of the messages
seem to address basic installation.  I'll keep looking, but in the
meantime...

Thanks!
Adam

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA