tlug: Kernel Trouble

Hello everyone,

I just installed the latest dev kernel (2.3.99-pre8) and it seems pretty stable. It includes the sblive driver(emu10k1) and works better than the seperately compiled module i was using. Everything else seems ok too except the video.

I was running 2.2.15 in 16 bit color mode at 1024x768 at the console and was enjoying it pretty well. When i specified this mode in the new kernel, it changed back to normal mode since i had compiled frambuffer support into it. I recompiled without the framebuffer and it just gave a blank screen although it booted fine otherwise.

Now im back to normal mode for the console after specifying vga=normal in lilo.conf and it is annoying on a 17" monitor. Any suggestions on the video modes? what is the number for lower res modes. The mode i mentioned above uses 773, but what about 800x600 etc.

One more problem was that Quake III froze the machine and i could only do a hard reboot. Anyone experience the same thing?

Cheers,

Sajjad Zaidi
FREE! The World's Best Email Address @example.com

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA