Re: tlug: Final word on fish

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:39:56AM -0700, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> continue with, "However, post stupid questions at your own risk, since
> there is a very high probability that your a** will be flamed early and
> often for all such posts".
>
> That should offend a lot of potential members, but those are the types of
> members who have no sense of humor and don't belong here anyway :)

Sorry to drag this thread out, guys and gals ... but ... what's a stupid
question, anyway?  If we're going to call the match on the basis of sense
of humor alone, it seems to me that all that distinguishes a flamer from a
flamee is that the flamer got bent out of shape first.

How about this approach.  You don't want to stop people from asking stupid
questions.  Anyone in the knowledge industries should *welcome* stupid
questions.  What you want to discourage is questions asked stupidly.

Before posting, please ask yourself the following three questions:

  1) Are you sure you would feel comfortable reading your message
     out loud in front of a live audience of more than 100 people?

  2) Is your message any longer than it must be to convey the
     essence of your comment or question.  (this *includes* quoted
     text)

  3) If your message poses a question or questions, does it contain
     all of the information that you believe to be necessary to
     answer it?  (if you are not sure, it might be prudent to
     run a few more tests and/or read further in the documentation)

For what it's worth,
----
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     ()

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA