Re:tlug: GeForce and Linux

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Austin Kurahone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Graham wrote:
> >I recently replaced my old Ati Card with a nice else GeForce256 model, and
> >downloaded the nVidia driver for Linux as an .rpm. However, when I go into
> >my now VGA-16 KDE, and click on the rpm, it does nothing. I guess this is a
> >request for general update info. Thanks.
>
> Note that simon wrote:
> >Be fair, I bagged the last one. It's already Friday, and we're not
> >going to get three in a week at this rate, so:
>
> Err, by clicking on the RPM, I'm assuming that you have a setup which installs
> rpms's when you "click" on them (I  don't use such perversions like file
> managers, so in this I plead ignorance.).   If you'd looked at the faq like
> nvidia's site tells you to do, you would have noticed installation instructions
> detailing what you're supposed to do including a bit about reconfiguring X.
>
> This is assuming that you are indeed running XFree86 4.0, since that's the only
> rpm that I can find. (For 3.3.5 there are no rpms visible.)

the driver is built into the SVGA server for 3.3.5/3.3.6.  I wonder if
nVidia's 4.0 driver is any better/faster than the existing 3.3.x one?

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.