tlug: Fwd: [li18nux:510] Press release of LI18NUX2000 Public review

The draft document should be available at www.li18nux.net

> Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 07:01:22 +0900
> From: "Akio Kido" <KIDO@example.com>
> Subject: [li18nux:510] Press release of LI18NUX2000 Public review
> To: li18nux@example.com, peigi@example.com, lonn@example.com,Song Yang
> <songyang@example.com>
>
> Dear meners of LI18NUX,
>
> The attached is the press announcement of LI18NUX2000 public review.
> Please feel free to redistribute the announcement letter to your
> countries and regions.
>
> The announcement letter will be sent to Linux related media
> for Japan and US by Laser5, Asian regions except Japan by TurboLinux,
> and European region by SuSE. Thank you for Laser5, TurboLinux and SuSE.
> ( Peigi and Lonn, please distribute this text by using your channel. )
>
> Song, finally the final text become ready!!  Please put the announcement
> text in our http://www.li18nux.net then make the page available immediately.
> I'm so sorry for making you wait.
>
> All, as I mentioned before, I will highly appreciate if you could set a link
> for your/your companies own page to www.li18nux.net.
>
> Best regards,
> Akio Kido (Globalization CoC, Yamato, IBM  & Co-chair person of Li18nux)
> 1623-14, Shimotsuruma, Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken 242, Japan (LAB-SA4)
> E-mail: kido@example.com  Tel: +81-46-215-5436(Changed) FAX: +81-46-215-3352
>
> ---------------------- Forwarded by Akio Kido/Japan/IBM on 2000/05/11 06:50
> ---------------------------
>

>    [Li18nux--Prss Release]
>
>       Linux Internationalization Initiative makes Draft Globalization
>            Specification available for public review
>
>    Tokyo, Japan -- May 11, 2000, Linux Internationalization Initiative
>    (Li18nux) announced today that the LI18NUX2000 draft Globalization
>    specification is now available on the LI18NUX Web site
>    (http://www.li18nux.net) for public review.
>
>    The LI18NUX2000 specification includes the best of Globalization
>    functionality that commercial UNIX systems have successfully
>    implemented. By conforming to the LI18NUX2000 specification,
>    application programmers will benefit from UNICODE-based multi-lingual
>    capabilities in a portable manner across Linux distributions and UNIX
>    systems.
>
>    "Since the LI18NUX2000 v1 specification, targeted to be available in
>    August 2000, relies only proven and well-defined internationalization
>    technologies (strikethrough: ,) we believe that Linux distributions who
>    confirm to the specification can release internationalized versions within
>    this year," said Akio Kido, Co-chair for Asia Pacific Region.
>
>    This effort has been endorsed by the following LI18NUX member
> organizations:
>
>      DigitalFactory, Project BLUE, Oracle, TurboLinux, Red Hat Software,
>        Hitachi, IBM, Fujitsu, Compaq Computer, NEC, Tokyo Linux User Group,
>        SGI, Internet Language Corporation, Translation.net, MetroLink,
>        Japan PPC User Group, LASER5, Mistubish Electric Corp., Digital
Design,
>        Aquarium Computer, Sun Microsystems, Neonagy, Caldera, SuSE,
>        Japan Linux Association, Omron Software
>
>    About Li18nux:
>
>    Li18nux is a voluntary working group, consisting of Linux and Open Source
>    related contributors who are working on Globalization, a combination of
>    Internationalization and Localization. The organization was formed in
>    August 1999. The ultimate goal of the organization is to achieve
>    software/application portability and interoperability in the International
>    context for Linux and other open source projects. Its activities are
>    focused on the internationalization of a core set of APIs and
components of
>    Linux distributions to achieve a common Linux environment. This will allow
>    an internationalized Linux application to be executed regardless of
>    different flavor of distributions are used. The results of the working
>    group will be open to everyone, and be proposed for adoption to the
>    Free Standards Group (http://www.freestandards.org).
>
>    ---------------- Attachment -----------------------------------------
>    Digital Factory and Kondara Project support the activity of LI18NUX and
>    hope to contribute to it by positively taking part in the activity.
>
>    We support the LI18NUX2000 draft Globalization specification, and we will
>    do our best to release a distribution in conformity to it.
>    In respect of the outcomes of our effort, we hope to share it with the
>    open source community.
>
>    --------------
>
>    "TurboLinux is proud to host the LI18NUX web site and participate in
such a
>    critical project for Linux," said John Terpstra, vice president community
>    relations, TurboLinux. "Internationalization has long been a strong point
>    for our distribution with our early focus on the Japanese and Chinese
Linux
> [...]
>    Initiative and contribute to the growth of the Linux market."
>
>    ---------------------------
>
>    Project BLUE
>    Project BLUE welcomes an announcement LI18NUX starts a public review
>    of a draft LI18NUX2000 specification.
>    Using Linux for bussiness systems, I18N of the application is very
> important
>    issue. We believe a LI18NUX2000 specification will solve that issue,
and we
>    will support LI18NUX.
>
>    Project BLUE is Business Linux Users Encouragement project.
>    http://www.blue.gr.jp/ (Japanese Only)
>
>    -------------------------
>
>    Oracle Corporation Japan declares its support for the LI18NUX2000
>    specification by Linux Internationalization Initiative this time.
>    Oracle Japan believes that the establishment of this specification will
>    deliver easy generation of international applications, and thus, further
>    promote development of open market with Linux.
>
>    Receiving investments from Oracle Japan and scheduling to start its
>    business on June 1, 2000, Miracle Linux Corporation is planning to
>    support LI18NUX2000 specification in its Linux OS, "Miracle Linux."
>
>    ----------------------------
>
>    Japan PPC Linux Users Group (JPLUG)
>
>    We truly appreciate as well as praise the activity of LI18NUX.
>    JPLUG, as one of LI18NUX members, would like to strongly propose
>    the LI18NUX2000 specs to PPC Linux and keep our active endorsement and
>    cooperation to Linux Internationalization Initiative from now on.
>
>    -----------------------
>
>    We are very pleased with the progress in the internationalization of Linux
>    as reflected in the exhibits by LI18NUX to day of LinuxWorld Expo/Tokyo
>    2000.
>
>    Fujitsu Limited will continue to support and contribute to the development
>    of a Linux platform truly fit for business use.
>
>    Jiro Ishizaki
>    Fujitsu Limited,Fujitsu Linux Center
>
>    ------------------------
>    NEC believes that any activities to define the "LI18NUX2000 Globalization
>    Specification" will give great advantage for all of us -- Linux users,
>    developers and SIers -- and will be driving force for Linux. NEC will
>    support LI18NUX and contribute development of future Linux market.
>
>    General Manager, Yukio Yamazaki
>    MARKETING DIVISION, NEC Solutions
>    NEC
>
>    ------------------------
>
>    LASER5 Co. Ltd. would like to express a great respect to the fact that the
>    volunteer members of Linux Internationalize Initiative(Li18nux) have been
>    archieved internationalization of Linux steadily by the open source basis.
>    We endorse that the work progresses, and it will reach a new development
>    stage. We have done the translation to Japanese of several hundreds
>    thousand words of help messages and made it to public and more.
>    Thus we would like to continue to support the work of Li18nux as well as

---
Alberto Tomita,Jr. <atomita@example.com>
Tokyo Linux Users Group http://www.tlug.gr.jp
dW-J Linux Zone http://www.jp.ibm.com/developerworks/linux

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.