Re: tlug: Does samba support all the possible Japanese file namesthat NT does?

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Yasuaki> Does samba support all the possible Japanese file names
>     Yasuaki> that NT does?
>
> Probably, but I believe you need to explicitly tell Samba to use
> Unicode, not Shift-JIS.  I also don't know when the internal Unicode
> architecture that Jeremy Allison described in December will be
> released, I don't use Samba myself so I'm not up on it.
>
>     Yasuaki> Is the Japanized samba any good?
>
> Jeremy Allison and Ulrich Drepper consider it Satan-spawn, I believe.
> There were near-fistfights in the Samba sessions at the Yokohama
> conference in December about this.

Let me guess, the people who japanized it did it with none/little input
from the core team and did a localization job instead of
internationalization on it...?

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.