Re: tlug: Can I run an X server without a video card?

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Fredric> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
>
>     >> It's really a shame that DESQview/X had to die.
>
>     Fredric> Did it ever live? I can't remember more than a set of
>     Fredric> (nice) specs and brochures.
>
> Oh, it most certainly did!  It may be rose colored memory, but it had
> an excellent graphical configurator (for what it covered), better than
> any of the current distros, still (but I don't use Kiddie or Gnope).
>
> By using DJGPP and the Quarterdeck supplied X11R4 and Motif libraries
> you could compile most Unix programs, including GNU file utils, shell
> utils, Ghostscript (including the Japanese patched version), the Todai
> Demacs/Nemacs/Mule versions of GNU Emacs, Darryl Okahata's port of GNU
> Emacs, kterm, Mosaic, Mosaic-L10N, and NCSA httpd (which stood up to
> 5,000 hits in 2.5 hours on January 20, 1995, but I couldn't stand the
> response time so I rebooted to Linux and worked in a kon console; the
> DV/X Unix-style multitasking features were only available with X since
> the X server was tightly integrated with the multi-tasking kernel, and
> of course there were BIOS calls and stat()s slowing things down all
> the time).
>
> Is that 'live' by your standards?  ;-)
Well... I do not remember exactly but the first brochure I saw was
from 1986 or so. Maybe a little later maybe earlier. And it might be
that a couple of years later there was a great product available but
by this time I was happily hacking Venix (a real-time UNIX for PC,
sort of) and had completely forgotten about DESQview. Until now.

/Fredric
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.