Re: tlug: Can I run an X server without a video card?

    Fredric> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

    >> It's really a shame that DESQview/X had to die.

    Fredric> Did it ever live? I can't remember more than a set of
    Fredric> (nice) specs and brochures.

Oh, it most certainly did!  It may be rose colored memory, but it had
an excellent graphical configurator (for what it covered), better than
any of the current distros, still (but I don't use Kiddie or Gnope).

By using DJGPP and the Quarterdeck supplied X11R4 and Motif libraries
you could compile most Unix programs, including GNU file utils, shell
utils, Ghostscript (including the Japanese patched version), the Todai
Demacs/Nemacs/Mule versions of GNU Emacs, Darryl Okahata's port of GNU
Emacs, kterm, Mosaic, Mosaic-L10N, and NCSA httpd (which stood up to
5,000 hits in 2.5 hours on January 20, 1995, but I couldn't stand the
response time so I rebooted to Linux and worked in a kon console; the
DV/X Unix-style multitasking features were only available with X since
the X server was tightly integrated with the multi-tasking kernel, and
of course there were BIOS calls and stat()s slowing things down all
the time).

Is that 'live' by your standards?  ;-)

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.