Re: tlug: Software laws

First and foremost, that will be governed by any contractual agreements
that exist between you and your employer.  Mine essentially says that
if it's materially related to your job duties or our business, it's
the company's.  Otherwise, it's mine.  That's really a pretty generous
policy, I think.  To be sure, there are companies which have policies
essentially stating that anything you invent or write while you
work there belongs to them, period.

IANAL, but if your company has no explicit policies regarding that
and you write something on your own that isn't part of some project
you're working on for the company, or substantially related to
that project, they would probably have a hard time claiming they
owned it.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756