Re: tlug: NIC data glut

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 05:52:07PM +0900, Frank Bennett wrote:
> I've been using an old 75mhz 486DX machine as a masquerading firewall in
> my office for the past few weeks (many thanks to list members for advice
> in getting the network cards set up).  It works, but large transfers crash
> the driver on one card.
>
> The local interface is an old Western Digital card; the side exposed to
> the LAN is an old Allied Telesys 1700.  It is the AT1700 driver that
> crashes.

Once upon a time, I had a couple of 486's, running with the AT1700
cards whose network connections would spontaneously die every so often
in a way very similar to what you describe below. The problem went
away when I replaced the AT1700 with WD cards.

I don't know if the card was to blame, or the driver, but it does seem
like the AT1700 card is troublesome on Linux. The AT1700 driver doesn't
seem to have had any work done on it in the last couple of years, so
I assume that whatever problem plagued me in my scenario is still there.

My suggestion would be to re-deploy your AT1700 card as a doorstop and
get yourself another Ethernet card, unless someone can come forward with
some fix for the AT1700 driver/card combination that I don't know about.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                   <http://www2.gol.com/users/shimpei/>
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.