Re: tlug: How to make a little room for Windows again?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Ulrike Schmidt wrote:

>  I might need help. Fstab says now:
>
>  /dev/hdb6               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
>  /dev/hdb1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
>  /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
>  /dev/hdb5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>  /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,owner    0 0
>  none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
>  none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>
>  [root@example.com /]# ./sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
>  Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 827 cylinders
>  Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
>     Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>  /dev/hda1   *         1       826   1665184+   6  FAT16
>  [root@example.com /]# ./sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb
>
>  Disk /dev/hdb: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 555 cylinders
>  Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
>     Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>  /dev/hdb1   *         1         3     22648+  83  Linux
>  /dev/hdb2             4       555   4173120    5  Extended
>  /dev/hdb5             4        30    204088+  82  Linux swap
>  /dev/hdb6            31       555   3968968+  83  Linux
>
>  So I would put a line into fstab that says something like:
>  /dev/hda1               /mnt/Windows            vfat    defaults        0 0

Looks okay. /mnt/Windows must be present.
Test it:  'mount /dev/hda1' and 'df'

>  BTW, how do I reinstall lilo? I was looking for docs but all I found were
>  descriptions what it does and that it is handled by the RedHat installer ...
>  I also had a look again at lilo.conf for inspiration, thought maybe I just
>  have to add an entry there for Windows and run lilo, but I had no idea how
>  write this entry ...

I guess your lilo.conf has boot = /dev/hda and atleast one image
section with
image = ...
root = /dev/hdb1
label = linux   # the label name could be anything you like..

Then add a new section

other = /dev/hda1
label = win98

Again you may choose a different label name. To boot windows or
linux enter the corresponding label name at the lilo prompt or simply
press return to boot the default image --- the one appearing first
unless default=.. is specified.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD