Re: tlug: How to make a little room for Windows again?

>>  Maybe there was something crucial on the small disc ... RedHat says
(also a
>>  way to capture this? I did not get it with dmesg):
>
>no idea ... not logged by syslog ?

/var/lock/subsys/syslog is empty now. But not so important now that
everything works as it should.

>Delete all references to /dev/hda[n] partitions from /etc/fstab.
>If the system can work without the data you had on /dev/hda
>partitions, everything should be okay.

Yes, everything is fine now! :-)

>To access your new windows partition(s) you may want to add them to your
>/etc/fstab. A look at /etc/fstab may give you clues on how to do that,
>but in case you need help, send in your present /etc/fstab and also the
>list of partitions on /dev/hda and /dev/hdb as reported by linux fdisk.

I might need help. Fstab says now:

/dev/hdb6               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hdb1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

[root@example.com /]# ./sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 827 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       826   1665184+   6  FAT16
[root@example.com /]# ./sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 555 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1         3     22648+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2             4       555   4173120    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5             4        30    204088+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb6            31       555   3968968+  83  Linux

So I would put a line into fstab that says something like:
/dev/hda1               /mnt/Windows            vfat    defaults        0 0
?

BTW, how do I reinstall lilo? I was looking for docs but all I found were
descriptions what it does and that it is handled by the RedHat installer ...
I also had a look again at lilo.conf for inspiration, thought maybe I just
have to add an entry there for Windows and run lilo, but I had no idea how
write this entry ...

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD