Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 ulrike@example.com wrote:

>  I guess I am not 100% sure what "termination" means or how to check this ...

It will be some jumper setting on the drive -- need the manual to find
out which, or if you are lucky you can find it by examining the disk
with the jumper positions for enabling and disabling the
termination marked. But you will have to open the case...

>  > Even after booting you can probe for a scsi device. For example if your
>  > cdrom has SCSI id = 5, issue the command
>  >
>  > echo "scsi add-single-device  0 0 5 0" > /proc/proc/scsi
>
>  I am also not quite sure how to find out about the id, but I remember having
>  seen "7" in some menu, so I tried the thing with 7 (and
>  with /proc/scsi/scsi, /proc/proc/scsi did not work). It replied with:

Sorry for the misprint, it should be /proc/scsi/scsi 7 is the id of your
host adapter so that's not the one to try.  The scsi id is probably set
by some jumper on the disk, so need to open the case to know the id.
Wait a minute, that reminds me, you should get all that info
at the boot time. After the bios messages and before the lilo
prompt you will get scsi messages listing the adapter and connected
devices. You can also probe the bus using the adaptec scsiselect
utility by pressing ctrl-A at boot time. There is a menu item named
disk utility or some thing like that to scan the bus and show all
connected devices (make/vendor) and their ids.

>  'cat /proc/scsi/scsi'  says:
>
>  	Attached devices: none
>
>  'dmesg' says in the last two lines:
>
>  	scsi singledevice 0 0 7 0

That doesn't means success, it's just the kernel echoing the command.
I think you will get the drive model, SCSI id etc listed in
/proc/scsi/scsi. For example, I have this scanner on id 5 and
cat /proc/scsi/scsi gives

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: EPSON SC Model: ANNER GT-9000    Rev: 1.11
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 01

>  	VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:00

Dont know why disk change detected?

>  That made me optimistic, but when I tried to check this cdrom mounting thing
>  again I was reminded that I still don't know which command to use
>  since /dev/cdrom does not exist and I am just blindly copying commands ...

As Stephen wrote the other day, look for /dev/scd0.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD