Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 ulrike@example.com wrote:

>  > OK, your CD-ROM is NOT being recognized.  This could be due to faulty
>  > termination.  Or it might just not be hooked up.
>
>  It worked with Windows with the same settings ("automatic") when I used the CD
>  to make the install floppies ...

Dont know much abt scsi termination, but I think automatic should be
okay. I use the same card (AHA-2940) with auto termination and have only
one external device (a scanner).

>  >     Ulrike> know what the proper settings are. The Adaptec menu for
>  >     Ulrike> "Host Adapter SCSI Termination" gives three options:
>  >     Ulrike> automatic, enabled, disabled. Which is the correct
>  >     Ulrike> setting?
>  >
>  > "Automatic" should work.  If you have _both_ external and internal SCSI
>  > devices hooked up, you could try "disabled".  If you have only
>  > internal, or only external, devices hooked up, you could try enabled.

What Stephen wrote  agrees exactly with what my aha2940 japanese manual
says.

>  scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.11/3.2.4
>         <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
>  scsi : 1 host.
>  scsi : detected total.

No attached devices detected ...

>  > If all cables are OK and the power is on, it could be termination.  If
>  > the CD-ROM is the ONLY device hooked to the SCSI adaptor, then both
>  > the adaptor (set "enabled" in the BIOS") and the CD-ROM (sorry, dunno
>  > 'bout this one but it's probably a jumper, you'll have to read the
>  > docs or call in the vendor if they didn't supply docs) should have
>  > termination.
>
>  Can I assume this is ok since it used to work with Windows? The docs, if I find
>  them, are in Japanese and my Japanese is still ma-ma, but I will get a
>  translator if neccessary ...

The cabling is probably  okay if it works under windows...  Still note
that a device may appear to "work" even without proper termination
but it will be unreliable/flaky.

Anyway your cd is not getting detected. Have you checked the termination
on the cd-drive itself?

Even after booting you can probe for a scsi device. For example if your
cdrom has SCSI id = 5, issue the command

echo "scsi add-single-device  0 0 5 0" > /proc/proc/scsi

Then 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' or 'dmesg' to see whether the device got
detected. I use this often to take my scanner in and out of the bus
(remove-single-device and add-single-device) and to rescan the bus when
new external devices are connected.

By the way, what is the make of your cd drive?

>  hda: QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A, 696MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=708/32/63
>  hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALL540A, 519MB w/83kB Cache, CHS=528/32/63
>  hdc: WDC AC32500H, 2441MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=4960/16/63
>  ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>  ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>  Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>  FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>  md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
>
>  Why is there only ide0 and ide1 when there are three hard drives? Shouldn't
>  there be ide2 as well? (Or maybe not?) And what this md driver?

That's okay -- ide0 and ide1 are the primary and secondary interfaces---
each can have two disks (hda & hdb on ide0 and hdc & hdd on ide1 as
master and slave).

md is to support more than 2 ide interfaces, is it? dont know actually..

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD