Re: tlug: How to make a little room for Windows again?

Got back to this problem again (Debian and SCSI are waiting on Monday in
the institute ...) And was partly successfull: Windows is running again,
but I might have to reinstall Linux.

>But you may not need to remove your linux installation if your small
>disk can be spared without seriously affecting the present installation
>-- ie if all the crucial partitions (/ /boot and /usr and swap) are
>already on the large disk.

Maybe there was something crucial on the small disc ... RedHat says (also a
way to capture this? I did not get it with dmesg):

         checking filesystems
         fsck.ext2Could this be a zero-length partition?
         : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hda6

(Then it drops me to a shell and says the system will reboot when I leave
the shell ... just curious: what does that mean "leave the shell", how to
do that?)

Just in case someone is interested:

>Then delete all the
>non dos partitions. AFAIK, except for some ancient versions, dos fdisk
>does not shy away from deleting non-fat (lean?) partitions if asked
>to :)

This was a bit more difficult than expected since I had a problem that
seems to have happened to others had as well:

>I had a problem which I have never seen before and I been a systems
>administrator for about 5 years. I had this 4.2GB Fujitsu drive that I was
>trying to clear off. It had a primary partition, and an extended partition
>with no logical disks specified. I tried to delete the extended partition
>but I kept getting an error saying that I couldn't delete the extended
>partition with logical drives existing. So I try to delete the logical
>drives, but there arent any. So I was stuck on it for an hour.

The solution to this problem are undocumented switches that work with
FDISK. See   http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD