Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 ulrike@example.com wrote:

>  New question before I even could try out the answer to my previous one (thanks
>  Selva!):
>
>  I am currently at work trying to install (for the first time) Debian 2.1 on a
>  Fujitsu FMV-590DE which seems to have a scsi CDROM, Adaptec, AHA-2940. I
>  selected the modules for cdrom and sg - generic scsi-port, but I cannot mount
>  the CDROM. Maybe something is wrong with my mounting attempts, I get "special
>  device /dev/dcrom does not exist" or "the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0

I guess that /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/sdc (by the way it is sdc, not
scd, isn't it?). It seems either the device name is wrong or the scsi
driver is not loaded.

First check the boot message to see whether the card is recognised at
boot time. Check /proc/modules to see whether aic7xxx is
listed or not. If not /sbin/modprobe aic7xxx. Check /proc/scsi/scsi
to see whether the cd drive is detected.

If it still doesn't work, I would think that /dev/cdrom is not linked to
the correct device. The first scsi device is named /dev/sda, the second
is /dev/sdb etc.. and partitions within are named /dev/sda1 to
/dev/sda15 etc. (Has this changed in recent distributions?) If you dont
have any other devices on the scsi bus, the cdrom may be on /dev/sda.
Try mounting that instead of /dev/cdrom. Once you identify the correct
device make /dev/cdrom a link to that. (ls -l /dev/sd* will show you all
the sd device files you have -- whatever be the names, the first device
has major,minor = 8,0, the second is 8,32 etc...)

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD