Re: tlug: status of NFS stability in linux...

On 7 Apr 2000, Mike Fabian wrote:

> "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com> writes:
>
> > So, WRT the latest 2.2/2.3 kernels, how stable is NFS on linux now?  My
> > 2.2.14 system severely blows as both an NFS client and an NFS server, but
> > I'd think that *someone* has to have been working on this..?
>
> I also had problems the kernel NFS server in 2.2.x kernels. One weird
> problem I encountered is that I can't export the `/' directory, i.e. I
> have
>
>     /          micky(ro,root_squash)
>
> in /etc/exports on the machine `nozomi', but when trying to mount `/'
> from micky it doesn't work and a `permission denied' message appears
> in /var/log/messages on nozomi. Exporting other directories like
>
>     /home      micky(ro,root_squash)
>
> and mounting them from micky seems to work OK.
>
> `micky' runs kernel 2.0.36 and userland nfs and the exporting of the
> `/' directory of `micky' to nozomi works without problems.
>
> Maybe userland NFS would work better on 2.2.x than kernel NFS?
> I couldn't yet find the time to try it.

I'm just talking about general stability problems such as RPC timeouts
hanging the machine, poor performance, etc.  Even the NFS client side
stuff on Linux is kind of problematic.  If my box here temporarily can't
see the NFS server(s) that it's mounting here (the servers are Suns), the
whole box will freeze until it can reestablish the connection.  And yes,
that IS with a soft mount...

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD