Re: tlug: Sun 4M question

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:12:22AM -0700, Scott M. Stone wrote:
>
> > unexpandable?  I'd question that.
>
> Maximum two RAM boards (which max at 512M per, for a total of 1 gig).  Maximum
> two drives.  Maximum _one_ CPU.  One PCI slot, but the cooling on the machines
> is so shitty that we're scared to put anything more advanced than a JNI card
> in any of them.
>
> Unexpandable, by any sane metric.  Cute boxes, though.

sure it only holds 2 disks internally, but what do you want out of a 1U
box??  It does have an external UW scsi port, though, so you can put
drives there.  As for the PCI slot, so far no problems using our Fore ATM
cards in 'em.

But, yeah, the 1GB/1CPU limit does kind of suck.  But then again, it's 1U
high, and can you imagine the cooling problems in there with multiple
CPUs?? :)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD