Re: tlug: remote suspending/resuming of jobs?

Tony Laszlo (lists.tlug):
>Please forgive this elementary question.
>Is it possible to suspend and resume
>jobs on a server from a telnet-connected
>remote location?

If you don't want them connected to your terminal, then you can
send them the STOP and CONT signals to suspend and resume. If
you want to keep a terminal session on the server, you want to
be using a piece of software called screen, allows you to connect
and disconnect a session.

For example, I use it to get at my mail and news clients from work
by `detaching' the screen from my login session at my machine at
home, and then `reattaching' it to the telnet session. When I'm
finished, I detach the screen again, and the jobs continue to run
even though they're not talking to a terminal session.

--
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
(Linus Torvalds about the superiority of Linux on the Amterdam