Re: tlug: linux and Japanese language

Thanks to everybody for the help and comments

> > - Are cannaserver and wnn (jserver) exclusive ? (is it wrong or is it a
> > waste of memory to have running them both?) If I have both running, how
can
> > I choose which one to use when inputting japanese characters.
>
> They are not exclusive, but there is not much sense in running them aloong
> each other, cause they offer same functionality. Also you coul'd use only
> one of them at a time, by starting kinput2 with the apropriate option
> (if you have a wnn AND canna supporting kinput2 binary)

which one is better? wnn? canna?

> > - When I run kterm (after executing kinput2) I am able to enter japanese
> > characters when I press shift+spacebar. The problem is with the
conversion:
> > in most cases I don't get the correct kanjis or katakanas. Is there
> > something like MS-IME that shows me a window with the conversion
candidates?

> That's funny. Usually there should be such a window.
> What Window Manager are you running? It could be hiding that Window.

I'm using enlightment-gnome.

> > - I can enter Japanese characters in netscape using cut & paste from a
kterm
> > window. Is there a way to enter Japanese characters directly?
>
> You need a properly written Netscape resource file. I'd suggest you check
out
> the Netscape RPMs of Kondara MNU Linux (www.kondara.org), they are
supposed to
> have the best japanese-capable Netscape. Or try Mozilla.... (works for me)

I have the version that comes with RH6.1j (4.7 muriyari-ja).
I had both wnn and canna running, but then I shut down canna and now I'm
able to enter japanese characters directly.
A small window appears with a hiragana "a", but it doesn't show the
conversion candidates.
Am I misconfiguring something?

> > I just want to know whether there is such a thing as The easiest
> > mailer for Linux with output/input Japanese capability,
>
> There are mailers which run under XEmacs and GNU Emacs which can do
> Japanese nicely. With XEmacs you can use VM or Gnus, with GNU Emacs
> probably only Gnus (don't know whether VM has been ported to GNU Emacs
> 20.x yet). If you want to use Gnus, I recommend to get the newest
> version, because it has good MIME support. It is not yet distributed
> together with XEmacs, so you have to download it seperately. I am
> using Gnus 5.8.4 with XEmacs.
>
> > PLUS HTML browse/edit capability.
>
> Gnus 5.8.4 can render HTML mail. To do this it uses Emacs w3,
> therefore you should make sure that you have a recent version of Emacs
> w3 installed too.

About e-mailers with japanese capability, what about mew? It's popular here
where I study. But I can't compare since I have never used gnus. Maybe
somebody in the list can help.

Hector

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD