Re: tlug: linux and Japanese language

Hi,
    I have got exactly the same prob here. I have used slackware versions
for ages, setting up rather complicated canna and kinput2 environments.
But to me, canna and kinput2 seem to have given me many choices when
I hit the space key several times. Cannna even gives me the choice of
how many times the space key gets hit until it shows those options of
kanji...though you have to read all those Manuals I guess. I cannot find
it where now.

   Anyway I was so frustrated in using Japanese with Slackware with all
those .emacs setting and rc.cannna sort, I bought Turbolinux Server
Japanese Edition 6.0 with utmost hope of using Japanese EASILY.
Yes, I could  choose Japanese Gnome and Menu. That is good.
But the thing is like this...it is very funny.
In it I found a very handy Mailer called Balsa, indeed so handy
I use it sometimes, and I can set it so that those Menu comes all in
Japanese. Very convenient. But I was wrong. It doesn't show any
Japanese at all nor I can put any Japanese in there. ONLY MENU
STUFF is in Japanese. I am not sure at all what the point is !!!!
   So I started using Netscape Communicator-4.6 version. It shows
Japanese emails all right. I was very glad. So I started using it.
But again I hit the wall. I could not TYPE in Japanese at all. So like
you, I opened mule, edited what I wanted to write in Japanese,
and did 'cut and paste' in Netscape. But it is all time consuming
stuff anyway. I just want to know whether there is such a thing as
The easiest mailer for Linux with output/input Japanese capability,
PLUS HTML browse/edit capability. I am on the verge of giving
it up almost though... sorry it is not the answer but reporting the
same problem here.

My solution. Whenever I get emails, in Linux box, I read it
in Netscape and reply emails if there are English emails. But when
I find Japanese emaisl there, I read those, but reply them from
my OTHER machines. What a waste..
If I am treading on a wrong lane, yank me off to the right lane.

Yong-Ming

--
FROM THE OFFICE OF YONG-MING HUA(YMH CAL LABORATORY)
yhua@example.com, root@example.com