Re: tlug: Samba and FAT32(VFAT) with Japanese file names

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:

> I've partitioned my japanese windows 98 notebook computer into FAT32(VFAT) &
> EXT2
>
> Win98 Japanese resides on FAT32
> Mandrake 7.0 English on EXT2
>
> I wanted to make the entire FAT32 partition accessible from other Japanese
> windows machines so I can make a full backup of it.
>
> So I setup samba.   But all the Japanese file names got MOJIBAKE'ed
>
> I removed the default samba and installed the Japanized Samba from
> samba.gr.jp
>
> It complains that libreadline.so.3 refers to the undefined BC or something
> and doesn't run.
>
> Do you think all this will be solved If I install some Japanese Linux
> distribution?
> Is there any quick fix I can do on top of my Mandrake Linux?

I think you need the japanized readline library, and there may be other
dependencies as well.  Getting Linux (or any OS) to work right with
Japanese is a major undertaking for the developers, and a lot of time is
put in to making all that crap work (believe me, i know, I used to do it
for a living back in 1998).  Therefore any 'quick fix' is just as likely
to break as many things as it fixes...

... my advice is to get an official 'japanese' linux distribution like TLJ
or RHJ or whatever else they have now.  For your specific application I'd
suggest TLJ, if only because they have direct ties to the Samba core team
and probably have the best Samba/Nihongo support.  That's just speculation
as I haven't actually *used* TLJ since 1998, but... YMMV :)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD