tlug: Apache Proxy and Apache server at startup

I have 2 questions regarding Apache server version 1.3.11.

1.
==
I have Apache Proxy installed on Linux. The proxy web cacheing works fine,
when I access the web from a 95/NT box. Most revisted pages are immediately
fetched from the Apache Proxy's cache. This is certainly not true when I access
these same pages from the hosting Linux system. Each revist is fetched from the
site. I have configured browsers exactly alike.

Any idea why this is happening?

2.
==
One other problem I have noticed is the slow startup of Apache at boot up time.
In the startup scripts, I have the following lines:

if [ -x /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl ]; then
  echo "Starting Apache Web Server"
  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
fi

The system waits for about 5 minutes before moving on to the next instruction.
I do not have any "sleep" commands in this script. Once the system has started,
if I do any of the following commands:

  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart

Apache responds rightaway. If anyone is experiencing this same problem, please let
me know how you resolved this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.