Re: tlug: "boot partition too big" while installing RH6.1j

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jonathan Q wrote:

> More than four paritions are always needed, IMO.  If you want to be able
> to upgrade smoothly, you should at least have the following on separate
> file systems:
>
> (...)

Yeah, more than four partitions are needed, but they don't have to be on
the same disk:

$ mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb3 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdc3 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb2 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdc4 on /usr/local type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdc1 on /usr/local/vmware/machines type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hdd on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=tappel)

;-)

(Oh, I don't seem to have root on hdb in the current setup. It used to
be... And I seem to have partitions that aren't in use... Well, hda4 is
swap, but still.)

--
            Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>
         [http://www.jyu.fi/cgi-bin/finger?macky@example.com]

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae