Re: tlug: pcmcia card

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 06:25:28PM +0900, Jack Morgan wrote:
> John,
> I tried these instructions and nothing. The xterm thing didn't provide
> any information?
Jack,

That's odd. It should have, if you have read permissions on the log
file and your card was being recognized.

When I insert my network card, I hear the double-beep of a card being
recognized. Then, the following information is appended to
/var/log/syslog (in Debian, at least):

Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone cardmgr[113]: initializing socket 0
Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone cardmgr[113]: socket 0: Corega EtherII PCC-T Ethernet Card
Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone cardmgr[113]: executing: 'insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/8390.o'
Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone cardmgr[113]: executing: 'insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o'
Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone kernel: eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 9, hw_addr 00:90:99:0A:EA:DE
Feb 29 20:37:32 jawbone cardmgr[113]: executing: './network start eth0'

> My /etc/pcmcia/config file shows the driver you mentioned
> "pcnet_cs" but when I ping my router it says network not reachable
> and 100% packets lost.

The "pcnet_cs" driver is used for quite a few cards. My understanding
is that the lines I gave you to add tell the card services to bind
your card to that particular driver. It's not bound by default; you
have to add those lines or it won't recognize your particular card (I
got them from Corega's web site after I bought my card).

> I think the pcmcia card is being recognized but maybe my network
> isn't setup. As I recall that during the installtion I setup the
> network. I got my hands on a copy of Corel Linux and installed
> that. Under Corel, it beeps when the card was removed and
> reinsurted. anyway...

You're right, it does sound like your card is being recognized, at
least with Corel (which distribution is installed now?). There are a
couple of ways to check this and see if the correct drivers are being
loaded:

1) look through /var/log/syslog for messages that look similar to the
ones I get.

2) cat /proc/bus/pccard/drivers | grep pcnet_cs

if you see a line with some information about pcnet_cs, then the card
has likely been recognized and the driver is loaded. If you don't, it
probably hasn't.

If you're pretty sure that the driver is loaded after checking these
things and you still can't ping, then yeah, your network probably
needs configuring.

hope this helps?
john
--