Re: tlug: pcmcia card

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 03:35:12PM +0900, Jack Morgan wrote:
> I am trying to get my laptop connected to the internet via a pcmcia
> card. I am using Debian slink. I installed pcmica-cs 3.0.14 and kernel
> 2.2.14. My card is a corega Ether 2 PCC-T. The "link" light on the card
> is on and the light on my router is on (indicating that a LAN card is
> connected to the router), but when I ping my router all the packets are
> lost? I am not sure if my problem is the pcmica card or TCP/IP.

I suspect that pcmcia-cs isn't recognizing the card. Don't worry,
though -- I have the same card, and while it's not officially listed
as a supported card by the pcmcia people, it will work.

You'll want to add the following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config :

(Actually, I think on a debian system, the correct place to put any
non-standard local stuff like this is in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts --
It gets sourced by /etc/pcmcia/config, and I believe that config.opts
doesn't get overwritten on a software upgrade, whereas the config
file does. But I didn't know this when I bought my card, so I made
the changes in the standard config file and have been too lazy to
change them.)

card "Corega EtherII PCC-T Ethernet Card"
  version "corega K.K.", "corega EtherII PCC-T"
  bind "pcnet_cs"

and then restart your pcmcia services:

# /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart

Now, fire up an xterm and tail -f /var/log/syslog while you insert
the card. You should see a message from pcmcia-cs telling you that
you've inserted a Corega Ether II PCC-T Ethernet Card"

If it mistakenly believes that you have inserted a different card
(this happened to me after upgrading to a later version of pcmcia-cs
although i don't remember when it happened, offhand), you'll need to
go into /etc/pcmcia/config and comment out the information for the
offending card. Then it should work correctly.

Assuming that your network is configured correctly, it should work.

good luck,

john

--
jseebach@example.com