RE: tlug: The Debian Potato

Steve wrote:
>Apparently PCMCIA installs are really hard.  Turbolinux
>definitely lost big on this (pre-3.0 betas), and I've heard anguish from
>people using other distros (SuSE and RH, maybe?).
>
>I don't understand why it's so hard, except that the normal "build
>everything into the kernel" approach doesn't work (license
>incompatibility) so that the install maintainers have to remember to
>put their socks on _under_ their shoes.  That may be too tough....
*gasp* Hmm and pcmcia support has been integrated into the Linux kernel
since when??? A quick check on freshmeat for the pcmcia-cs programs show
that the liscence is "freely distributable" (I'm on my windows box right
now so I have no idea what it actually is, but as for the code in the
kernel, I'm sure that no liscence incompatibility exists there (GPL VS GPL
Fight of the century from 11)

Yours,

Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / Green Frog Linux Maintainer
"What is the ape to man?  A laughing-stock, a thing of shame.  And just the
same shall man be to the Superman:  a laughing-stock, a thing of shame."

Ps: Yes I know that 2.3 can't be used in Installers because of ramdisk
trouble (I have no idea if this has been fixed)
Pps: A breif follow up from the nomikai, devfs has been integrated into
Linux 2.3.46 (or at least that's what the page said)

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae