Re: tlug: tex/dvips to pdf: dekiru?

First off, thanks. Lots of ideas.

Selva & Simon: I actually tried using latexpdf (after I wrote the
email, and before I sent it), and it didn't work. At least, I think
it didn't. I was a little bit frustrated at that point and could
easily have copied the wrong file onto a floppy.  So, I'll try that
again tomorrow.

Stephen: I'm pretty sure that the acrobat.map file only includes
standard "postscript" fonts. In fact, it appears to be pretty small
subset of those fonts -- Courier, Helvetica, Symbol, Times, and the
ever-useful ZapfDingbats.

(but not real adobe postscript, at something like $140 a pop. Hmm.
Whenever I start to think about TeX (or X) and fonts, I stop, as I
immediately realize that I have reached the limit of my understanding
on the subject. As much as I don't miss Windows, I do occasionally
get a little misty-eyed when I think back on the days of having just
one @#$* font folder).

Stephen and Simon: I agree that pdf files are generally not really
worth it. I'd just as soon have plain text, paper, or html, but this
was literally the only way that I could think of to print latex.  I
live out in the sticks, and there's no working ghostscript driver for
the printer I have access to.

At any rate, I've got an ftp client pointed at ghostscript 6.0, and
I'm going to let it chug away whilst I retire to my futon. I'll try
to build it tomorrow, play with it some more, and I'll post some
results (hopefully, positive ones) if I get any.

john
--
jseebach@example.com