Re: tlug: tex/dvips to pdf: dekiru?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, John Seebach wrote:

>  Hi, everyone.
>
>  I'm wondering: Does anyone have any idea how to go from tex to  a
>  .pdf document without the output looking like complete garbage? Is it
>  even possible?
>
>  I'm using dvips to create a postscript file, and then the ps2pdf
>  program from the ghostscript distribution. Looks fine when I view it
>  with gv, but when I copy the file to a windows machine (the one
>  attached to the Epson "sorry-we-don't-do-ghostscript-here" POS excuse
>  for a printer here in my office) and open it with Adobe Acrobat, it
>  looks terrible.

With CM fonts, you will get terrible looking pdf. You need
to use postcript fonts. The easiest approach is to use pdftex. Or use
pslatex instead of latex (ie if you are using latex and not pure tex).

pslatex myfile.tex -----> myfile.dvi

dvips myfile.dvi will now generate a ps file that contains only a
minimal number (often none) of fonts outside the 14 built in PDF fonts
that gs handles well. Try it and enjoy the quality.

Selva

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae