tlug: Mail directory

I've been having trouble seeing locally delivered mail (which is in
/var/mail/ ).

man mail says:
   -u  is equivalent to: mail -f /var/mail/user

But mine seems to be equivalent to /var/spool/mail/user, and the bottom of
man mail says:
 FILES
     /var/spool/mail/*           Post office.

I've made the symbolic link so the problem has kind of gone away, but I'm
wondering if this is hard-coded into mail, or is a setting somewhere on my
system? If the latter, can someone point me to the likely file?

Darren

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae