Re: tlug: Squid config

On  0, Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> wrote:
> (I'm back on the list. simon@example.com hasn't been receiving anything
> recently, so I subscribed as simon@example.com - if some
> admin-type has the time to look see where my mail's been going, I'd
> appreciate it.)
>
> Subba Rao (lists.tlug):
> >The cache_peer values have the following settings.
> >
> >cache_peer myhost.mydomain.com     parent    3128  3130  [proxy-only]
>
> This is probably not what you want. You're saying that *all* the hosts
> on your network are running caches that you should peer with. While that
> might be the case, it's unlikely. I have *no* cache peers.

The only caching system is the linux system, the rest are hosts on the network.
Most are Windows and OS/2 boxes and will not be doing caching but will use
squid to access the Web.

> If you're thinking about the ways to give access to your hosts, what you
> want is the http_access stuff lower down. You'll want something like
> this:
>
> acl myself srcdomain mydomain.com
> http_access allow myself

Will this still cache the web sites that are being accessed?

I removed the cache_peer settings from my squid.conf and now I am getting
this error, when I try to start squid.

(0)root@example.com:~ => /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z
2000/02/15 08:56:25| Creating Swap Directories
FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /var/squid/cache/00: (13) Permission denied
Squid Cache (Version 2.3.STABLE1): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 7

I checked the permissions on the directory and they are at rwxr-xr-x and are
owned by root:root.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD