tlug: Expect configure bug

Dear Don,

I have found a gotcha in the configure script for Expect that
affects the current Debian Linux "stable" release when trying
to compile Expect 5.31 against libc6.

The symptom is a complaint that "cannot find pty_.c, required
to compile pty_.o".  A note in the FAQ suggests that this is
due to an incompetely installed gcc.  I reinstalled the
relevant packages (tried egcs as an alternative as well),
with no joy.

Examining the config.log file, I noticed that several
pty-related failures seemed to be connected to a failure
to find -lpt.  Searching for the test for -lpt turned up
this:

*****

if eval "test \"`echo '$ac_cv_func_'ptsname`\" = yes"; then
  echo "$ac_t""yes" 1>&6
  :
else
  echo "$ac_t""no" 1>&6
LIBS="${LIBS} -lpt"
fi

  # I've never seen Tcl or Tk include -lpt so don't bother with explicit
test
  echo $ac_n "checking for ptsname""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:5129: checking for ptsname" >&5

*****

With the LIBS= -lpt line commented out, the compile works
without a hitch.

I don't know enough about how autoconf and that works to
offer a patch, but it looks like that test is now needed
for Debian GNU/Linux.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
----
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     ()

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD