tlug: Expect compile error

I am trying to get Tcl 8.2 and Expect 5.31 running on a Debian
"stable" system, kernel version is 2.0.36.

Tcl 8.2 compiles without a hitch.  Expect 5.31 fails complaining
that it can't find a rule to make "pty_.c".  This is mentioned
in the FAQ for Expect; Don Libes says that he's seen this on
systems with an incompletely installed GCC.  Finish installing
or use another compiler is his advice.

Everything seems to be in place, though.  I've tried egcs and
gnu/gcc both from clean package installs.  Both fail with the
same error.

In config.log, I find two sets of failures related to pty.  One
set fails for want to a libseq library.  These look like this:

  configure:3291: checking for getpseudotty in -lseq
  configure:3310: cc -o conftest    conftest.c -lseq   -lm 1>&5
  ld: cannot open -lseq: No such file or directory

The other set fail when looking for an "openpty" symbol, viz:

  configure:3552: checking for openpty
  configure:3580: cc -o conftest    conftest.c  -lm 1>&5
  /tmp/ccc18415: In function `main':
  /tmp/ccc18415(.text+0x4): undefined reference to `openpty'

I need this combination of utilities here now, to move cleanly
to Tcl 8.2 (which I need in order to bring up Tcl as an Apache
server module).  I've looked around on the disk and in the distro
for libseq, and there's nothing in sight.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
----
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     ()

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD