re: tlug: compatible NICs

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Dave wrote:

> I used linuxconf to setup the IP address and my gateway, but I dont
> think the settings are correct.  Anyway, ifconfig spits out lo, but eth0
> doesnt appear.  If I use "ifconfig eth0" I get something like this:
>
> eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C6:F8:D7:17
>          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> 	 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> 	 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrrier:0
> 	 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> 	 Interrupt:18 Base address:0xe800

this means that:

1.  Your Linux kernel has a driver loaded for the card, hence it knows the
HWaddr.  This is Good.

2.  You have not bound an IP address to the interface yet.  If you told
Linuxconf to do so, and it has ignored you, this is Bad.

3.  You may want to just edit the stuff by hand.  Which distro are you
using?

as a side note, I still wonder why none of the Linux distributions handle
IP address assigning like Solaris does -- ie, create /etc/hostname.eth0
and put the name in there, then bind it to an IP addr in /etc/hosts..
Solaris's system seems more straightforward/easier to configure by hand
than any of the Linux distributions' various schemes for doing this.  At
least, the distros that I've *seen*.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD