Re: tlug: fetchmail flushes flushing Laszlo's career down the drain?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Tony Laszlo wrote:

>  Sorry to keep coming back to this topic,
>  but I still haven't solved that fetchmail
>  problem that I mentioned earlier (email
>  with misconfigured data in the "from"
>  field gets flushed, but I can't read it).
>  I have seen some of these addresses and
>  they are screwed up (in the way I illustrated
>  in my previous posts). But,

I dont remember the details of your earlier post (unfortunately
tlug archives  do not have feb messages loaded yet).

It may be helpful to look at the debug messages with -vv option.
-n (norewrite) may also help. You can also build a tester for
the fetchmail address parser (rfc822.c) as a standalone program -- 'make
rfc822' from fetchmail source directory. The executable rfc822, thus
made reads a mail file from stdin and writes out the parsed addresses.
-vv gives loads of debug messages.

Most likely fetchmail is not going to work on malformed from addresses
as it delivers mail to the SMTP port. fetchmail-friends@example.com is a
better place to ask about that, though. You may have to fallback on
fetchpop set up to append mails right onto the local spool. But do you
really want to accept mails with invalid From addresses?

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD