Re: tlug: Silly Questions.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Shawn Gray (shawn@example.com) wrote:
>
> > I am trying to raise people's awareness that there are more file
> formats out there than just *.doc. So I try to convince them to shoot
> me *.txt or at the very least *.rtf. If they can't, I whine, complain,
> and then eventually accept *.doc. I'll break down and use it, but not
> before making sure they know that it is not the only format people
> use.
>
> I see what you mean about column widths  :-)
>
> Star Office does a really nice job of importing Office 97 files, so you
> should be able to run that on Linux and handle the .doc files.  Then
> send them back a file that isn't in .doc format and let *them*
> convert it :-)

Corel WP for Linux imports them as well.
Interestingly enough, the GNOME Gnumeric spreadsheet can import Excel
files fairly well, (but it can't save them worth a rat's ass, don't try
and save something in excel format out of gnumeric or you'll lose all the
formatting...sigh)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD