tlug: compatible NICs

Im totally new to Linux, and Im having problems setting up my network
card.  I bought a retail version of Red Hat (6.1 I think) from America
and I cant get my network card to work properly.  I got a Buffalo 10
base-t card (in Japan).  During the boot process, lo and eth0 appears to
load properly (no error messages), but after that, the LED on my ISDN
router and the LED on the NIC dont light up.  I cant ping the router
from the Linux machine either.

Is this a configuration problem or an incompatibility prob?

thanks,
Dave

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD