Re: tlug: Silly Questions.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Yong-Ming Hua wrote:

>    Hi, this is Yong-Ming again.
>    (typing errors must be forgiven, I am having a whitlow on my finger).

>    Now my question boils up to this,
>    Do you use Linux for you Word Processor?

Linux at home, at work and on my notebook (excpet for video capture--
see below). For me word processing means technical writing using
Tex/Latex. Letters are exclusively plain simple emails these days, but
occasionally I use Applix words.

>    Do you use Gimp more than PSP?

Haven't tried PSP. Do use Gimp, but not much.

>    Do you use, at home, Linux for ppp session more than your Win/NT?

Linux.

>    Do you use database in Linux more than applications in Win/NT?

N.A.

>    I decided to ask this question simply because I saw a fact that so many
>    peopel write to this Mailing List using e-mail software for Win/NT, not
>    to mention my Netscape in this Win98.

Pine on a kterm here.

I use computers mainly for numerical work, emailing, browsing the
net and some video editing for fun. So what I need are compilers,
numerical libraries, an editor, a browser, tex and an OS that runs
for 497 days:) Linux+GNU provides all that although real big jobs are
sometimes run on a supercomputer. The development platform is still the
friendly GNU/Linux desktop.

I boot Win98 on my laptop only to capture video from a DV camera, and
for video editing using Adobe Premiere. Getting that done in the short
life time between the ceremonial booting and the pre-destined crash is
not for the faint of the heart. No wonder I do almost everything else in
the comfort of a shell prompt :) Eagerly waiting for a working Linux
firewire driver to reclaim the precious 2GB partition lost to Win98.

Having said that, I do occasionally get excel or doc files as email
attachments which mostly go to /dev/null (along with html emails).  Life
is not all that easy however, especially when a potential employer asks
for a CV in "word format" -- it did happen to me as they had no idea of
what to do with the postscript (same with pdf) files I had sent. That
too by a firm that claims to be "a leader in online " whatever. I
managed by falling back on the age old fascimile transmission.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD